Frequently asked questions for international students
- What is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) requirement for the clinical Master’s degree program in Speech-Language Pathology?
International applicants wishing to complete a clinical Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology must have a TOEFL score that meets or exceeds the following:
- Internet-based: 100
- Computer-based: 250
- Paper-based: 600
In addition to achieving the above minimum TOEFL score, international students pursuing the clinical degree must have sufficient spoken language skills to work with clients in the clinic. The Department requires that international students first be admitted into a non-clinical track until they have received satisfactory scores on the following two tests, which can be completed upon arrival to Indiana University:
- Indiana English Proficiency Examination (pass/fail scoring)
- Test of English Proficiency for International Associate Instructor Candidates (score of C2 or C1)
- I completed my undergraduate degree at an American University. Do I still have to submit the results of the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)?
Even though you completed your undergraduate degree at an American university, you still are required to take the TOEFL—if your native language is not English.
- Are there any specific requirements for residency as these pertain to the type of visa I have been given?
Because during the last semester of your program, you will be off campus completing your externships, you may need special authorization via the Office of International Services. Information about this requirement can be obtained at the following website https://ois.iu.edu/living-working/employment/f1/curricular.html.
- What are Indiana University’s residency requirements?
If you have questions about Indiana University’s residency requirements, please contact the Registrar’s Office.
- Can I visit the department?
Of course, we always welcome student visits. Please contact our Graduate Secretary, Kimberly Elkins (firstname.lastname@example.org), to schedule a visit.