Observation is one of the significant learning experiences of students. The American Speech Language and Hearing Association (ASHA) requires that students complete a minimum of 25 hours of observation before or during their graduate program. This requirement may be met in a variety of ways. How to document your hours varies, depending on whether the clinical observation takes place inside or outside the Speech and Hearing Sciences (SPHS) Department.
SPHS department observations
- Students observing in clinic must first complete the IU HIPAA e-training module. Go to IU Expand. Search for 2019 HIPAA Privacy & Security for Students and complete the course.
- Students may obtain observation hours through the Robert L. Milisen Speech and Language Clinic at IU. Please note that classroom videos can no longer be used to fulfill ASHA requirements.
- To count towards your 25 observation hours, every observation you complete within the SPHS Department must be recorded on a separate Guided Observation form (see below).
- Also required and available below is the Guided Observation Summary Form that provides a concise outline of your observations within the Department. See the full set of observation instructions below.
Outside the department observations
- Students may also obtain observation hours outside of the department in a variety of settings including schools, clinics, nursing homes, and hospitals, both in Bloomington and the surrounding community.
- Observations at these outside sites should be under the direction of ASHA-certified clinicians or students supervised by ASHA-certified clinicians.
- Students are responsible for coordinating their own outside observations and for keeping records of those observations. Given the volume of students, please do not contact Bloomington Hospital for observation opportunities.
- Please note that IU faculty will no longer sign off on hours obtained outside the Department. However, a formal letter from the SLP at the outside site on the institution’s letterhead can be obtained and submitted to your future graduate program to count towards fulfilling ASHA requirements.
- Master Clinician Network offers another observation option for a small fee. Follow instructions and select IU faculty who will approve observations online.